[RZERC] Draft Minutes for 28 November RZERC Meeting

Steve Sheng steve.sheng at icann.org
Mon Dec 5 15:39:14 UTC 2016

Thanks Jim, for the detailed feedback!

I have incorporated your suggestions to the minutes. Please see the attached word and PDF file with changes highlighted.

Regarding the format of the minutes, I would prefer to use word as an interim format and PDF as the final format. This way we can better keep track of the changes.

Let me know what you think.

Best
Steve

On 12/4/16, 7:45 AM, "rzerc-bounces at icann.org on behalf of Jim Reid" <rzerc-bounces at icann.org on behalf of jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:

    > On 29 Nov 2016, at 20:05, Steve Sheng <steve.sheng at icann.org> wrote:
    >
    >   Please review the minutes and let us know if there are any corrections to be made. The committee can approve the minutes at the next meeting.

    Steve, these look fine. Thanks. There are some typos/nits, mostly clumsy langauge:

    Roll call: All RZERC members were present or...

    Opening Remarks: Trang provided background information on why RZERC was formed.

    Introduction of Staff: Steve Sheng, Kathy Schnitt and Mario Aleman are currently responsible for RZERC support. Specific support person(s) will be decided once RZERC clarifies the scope and nature of the support which will be required.

    Review of RZERC Charter: Kim Davies raised, and others concurred, [there’a a missing comma that matters!]

    Items in the numbered list should be separated by semicolons, not commas.

    There shouldn’t be spaces between words/terms separated by slashes: ie “chair/vice chair” and not "chair / vice chair”.

    "Kim Davies... so that IANA can take this”. Should that be PTI, not IANA?

    Election of the Chair. Please use selection or apppointment rather than election here. An election is just one of several possible mechanisms for selecting someone. It’s up to RZERC to decide on its appointment mechanism. Until we do that, we should be careful not to use terms which (subliminally) eliminate options or stack the deck in favour of a particular mechanism. I don’t care what appointment mechanism we use. Provided of course it’s the simplest and most pragmatic choice. I do care that we keep our options open about deciding which mechanism(s) would be most suitable for appointing a chair/vice chair.

    I think we also agreed on the call that RZERC would aim to appoint a chair (and maybe a vice chair if needed) early in 2017 so this can be announced at ICANN58.

    Face-to-Face Meeting: Replace the sentence “It had have....” with “No decision was taken and it was agreed a further discussion would take place on the next conf call.”

    BTW, I think you can drop the Word format stuff. We should try to stick with PDF and/or plain text.