[RZERC] Decisions/Action Items Regarding Chair Selection - 23 January 2017 Teleconference

Peter Koch pk at DENIC.DE
Mon Feb 13 18:08:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 07:31:04PM +0000, Jim Reid wrote:

> > On 1 Feb 2017, at 18:53, Wessels, Duane <dwessels at verisign.com> wrote:
> >
> > The procedure you've drafted looks good to me.
>
> Me too. Sort of.
>
> Step 8 could/should be simplified though. Just go direct to an RFC3797 style random selection (or simply toss a coin) when there???s a two-way tie. I think there's no need for a runoff or special conf call. Keep things simple and with the fewest number of moving parts.

RFC 3797 is everything but easy and overdone for a tie breaker, IMHO.
If that happens at that stage, I'd suggest the RZERC seriously needs to discuss.
That means: repeat the discussion until exhaustion.

A tie could also occur in step 6.

Given that some of us seem to have one year terms according to their
originating so/ac procedures, I'd rather see a one year term for the
chair, as well.

-Peter