[RZERC] Decisions/Action Items Regarding Chair Selection - 23 January 2017 Teleconference

Howard Eland heland at afilias.info
Mon Feb 13 18:43:19 UTC 2017

> On Feb 13, 2017, at 12:22 PM, Peter Koch <pk at DENIC.DE> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 06:13:58PM +0000, Jim Reid wrote:
>
>> So why not just toss a coin* then?
>> *Other forms of random selection with exactly two mutually exclusive outcomes are available.
>
> I'd rather not throw technology at what would be a 'social' issue.

There is a third option (tomatoes aside) - the Current Chair could be given the powers to break the tie.
I don’t like it, I’m just saying it’s an option.
I don’t like it because a) it means the current chair shouldn’t vote in the “final” voting round unless their is a tie, and their voice is not heard; b) it means that that vote now has an even number of reps voting, increasing the likelihood of a tie; and c) this adds “power” to the chair the group may be unwilling to advance.

>> If the committee is evenly split on appointing a Chairman, I can???t see how further rounds of (non-terminating?) discussions is going to help. Unless one of the candidates gets fed up and withdraws.
>
> Well, we have an odd number of members on the committee. Maintaining
> an even split over the course of the discussion is unlikely.
> (Yes, I understand an odd number of members could abstain, could
> be absent and so on and so forth.  Let's address the tie in step 6
> before we drive _this_ part to perfection).

So about a compromise here?  In the event of tie in the fist vote, candidates get some time on the next call ( say 5 minutes ) to address the group, after which a second votes occurs.  A subsequent tie initiates an immediate coin toss.

-Howard