[RZERC] defining "architectural changes"

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Mar 8 09:17:15 UTC 2017

> On 8 Mar 2017, at 08:03, Peter Koch <pk at DENIC.DE> wrote:
>
> What isn't spelled out in the charter, and what the committee still needs to
> figure out is the meaning of "architectural changes" and me thinks this
> still belongs on our todo list.  And for those changes that we do not consider
> "architectural" (without prejudice, this could be the IANA's "technical checks")
> the community would probably appreciate an agreed upon point of reference.

I would flip this around and define what was not in scope for RZERC: ie routine day-to-day changes to the NS RRset, glue and DS records for a TLD. If we try to define what is in scope, we will end up shed-painting until the heat death of the universe trying to invent and enumerate every potential architectural change, 99.9999% of which will probably never happen.

If we use the above to define our scope, RZERC will have the flexibility to consider any other changes to the root zone, whatever they may be. That doesn’t necessarily mean RZERC is compelled to intervene on those other changes. It would just have the scope to do so if/when the need arises.