[RZERC] RZERC meeting

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Aug 21 10:04:35 UTC 2019

> On 20 Aug 2019, at 20:50, Wessels, Duane <dwessels at verisign.com> wrote:
>
> The purpose of our next meeting would be to touch base and see whether or not we have anything to discuss, and if RZERC should have any public meetings at the ICANN AGM.

Yes, I realise that Duane - thanks. However I doubt we need to have a meeting to decide if we have anything to discuss. Or organise a meeting to decide to hold a meeting that’s a charter commitment. Neither of these things seems productive or worthwhile to me. So why bother?

The list has been dormant and we’ve not been asked to do anything. [Long may that continue...] So there’s nothing to discuss.

> As written in our charter and procedures, we must meet at least once per year, and the last meeting was October 2018.  If we do want to have a public meeting in Montreal, we need to give at least 30 days advance notice.

Can’t we just decide on the list to have that (contractually obliged) public meeting in Montreal* -- assuming enough RZERC members will be there -- and be done with it? That meeting should be a no-op too: saying to an empty room “Nothing’s happened since last year’s meeting. Any questions?”.

* I’m indifferent to when or where RZERC performs its charter obligation. Aligning this with the ICANN AGM seems reasonable.