[RZERC] RZERC Meeting in January 2020 and Beyond

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Fri Jan 10 00:16:20 UTC 2020

> On Jan 9, 2020, at 3:48 PM, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:
>

>> On 9 Jan 2020, at 21:09, Danielle Rutherford <danielle.rutherford at icann.org> wrote:
>>
>> In addition to the January 2020 meeting we are going to set up a regular monthly meeting for 2020
>
> Who took that decision and when? Where is it minuted?
>
> Although there was a vague/weak consensus on our last call for "meeting more frequently", there was no agreement to hold monthly meetings as far as I recall.
>
> I do not agree to monthly meetings. Or just holding conf calls for the sake of it. When RZERC has nothing to do, it has no reason to meet. Apart from finding a new chairman, RZERC has nothing else to discuss. IMO that certainly does not justfy monthly meetings. RZERC should only meet when it has work to do or hold its contractually obliged annual meeting.

Jim,

In my opinion as the chair, the lack of regularly scheduled meetings is negatively impacting RZERC's ability to get work done when it is needed.  For example, we wanted to schedule a meeting in December.  A doodle poll went out November 13.  By December 2 we had a sufficient number of responses to schedule the meeting, but there was some confusion because one member made two entries with conflicting availability.  We adjusted the meeting time based on clarification.  When the meeting date came around on December 16, a number of members were absent, there were technical problems with zoom, and we cancelled the meeting.

At our November meeting a number of potential work items were brought up, and I also feel that some of the procedural issues (which you raised) have not been resolved yet.

Therefore, I suggested to the ICANN staff that we should schedule recurring meetings so that we don't need to waste time with doodle polls. If there is nothing to discuss at an upcoming meeting, we can cancel it in advance.

DW