[RZERC] RZERC Working Drafts

Wessels, Duane dwessels at verisign.com
Mon Jun 29 22:36:47 UTC 2020

> On Jun 29, 2020, at 3:29 AM, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> wrote:
>

>> On 26 Jun 2020, at 17:51, Wessels, Duane <dwessels at verisign.com> wrote:
>>
>> My recap of the discussion is that we would suggest a joint SSAC/RSSAC(caucus) study on the question of signing root-servers.net.  Geoff suggested we send the current document "almost as-is" to the chairs of those groups.  Also we would send a courtesy CC to other groups.  So my suggestion is to start with the  document as uploaded by Danielle and edit it as necessary so we can send it to these other groups and they will understand what we are asking of them.  Does that sound reasonable to you?
>
> Not really Duane - sorry. We didn’t agree to putting up a shared doc about signing root-servers.net. I don’t understand why that happened or who took that decision. The fact a shared document got created is no big deal. I'm concerned about things being done in RZERC's name that RZERC didn’t agree or approve.
>
> We did not agree to create this shared document. There’s nothing in the transcript to support that. You did make that suggestion Duane but nobody else spoke in favour or against that idea. Our discussion was inconclusive and there was no consensus. We did agree to circulate the document to other groups. Though that does not appear to have been recorded as an Action Point.

Jim,

I asked Danielle to create the shared document.  I was uncomfortable being the only one writing text for what I expected to eventually become a committee document.  If you feel that I have bypassed the committee's procedures, then I apologize.

Regarding the discussion about signing root-servers.net, I get the sense that most everyone on the committee feels that RZERC's only role would be to ensure that other groups are aware of the work.  In other words, work on this topic doesn't need to originate with RZERC.  Seems like it might be simpler to withdraw it from the committee's consideration and just take it directly to SSAC/RSSAC.  RZERC can remain in the loop via liaison updates, assuming the work gets taken up.

DW