[RZERC] [Ext] Re: RZERC Election Results and Next Steps

Danielle Rutherford danielle.rutherford at icann.org
Fri Mar 26 20:16:32 UTC 2021

Peter,

Thank you for your feedback, I have recorded your note for the Operational Procedures review.

All,
 As I did not receive any objections I will proceed with setting up the runoff election through Big Pulse. You will receive new credentials this afternoon. If you attempt to access your old credentials, the first poll is locked and will not allowed you to vote anymore. I will email the RZERC once credentials have been distributed to confirm you should have received them.

Best,
Danielle Rutherford

On 3/26/21, 07:40, "Peter Koch" <pk at DENIC.DE> wrote:

    Danielle, all,

    On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 06:25:55PM +0000, Danielle Rutherford via RZERC wrote:

    > Staff recommend in the case of a 4-3 split, with two members abstaining, the candidate with 4 votes be declared Chair as that candidate has obtained the simple majority among voting members. The rationale behind this recommendation is that members should be able to abstain from the voting process without causing undue hardship on the voting process. If there are no disagreements with this approach expressed within 48 hours, I will commence a new runoff election with the understanding that a simple majority will be determined by the number of members who vote instead of total members. I will also include an “Abstain” option in this and all future polls. If we do not reach consensus on this issue within the next 48 hours, we will discuss the procedures during the April RZERC meeting before proceeding with the runoff election. Staff has included this topic as an item for the upcoming Operational Procedures review.

    no objection.

    Regarding the review, I'd suggest to broaden that issue beyond the voting math
    to allow for institutionalizing the principle based abstentions.

    Thanks,
      Peter