[Spec13-request] Spec 13 Application by .food

Volker Greimann volker at greimann.org
Wed Oct 7 08:45:34 UTC 2015

Dear ICANN,

thank you for providing me with the opportunity of commenting on this
application, which I am doing on a personal capacity.

The application should be rejected as the TLD string does not qualify
under the requirements of the specification as it is:

"a string consisting of a word or term that denominates or describes a
general class of goods, services, groups, organizations or things, as
opposed to distinguishing a specific brand of goods, services, groups,
organizations or things from those of others"

Food is as generic as it gets, describing a general class of goods every
living being on earth needs to survive on a daily basis. Allowing such a
string to be monopolized by a single service provider in the food
industry would contrary to the claims of the applicant cause more user
confusion and allow one provider to dominate the public presentation and
outreach regarding such an important ressource.

Having negotiated with the Brand Applicant Group with regard to the
initial comment rejecting Spec 13 altogether, I feel confident in
stating that both the Brand Applicant Group and the participating
registrars issuing the comment critical of the initial Spec 13 intended
to prevent use cases of the specification like this.

We therefore kindly request that ICANN refuse the application on the
grounds of the applied-for string not meeting the requirements of the spec.

Best regards,

Volker Greimann
GNSO Counsellor (RrSG)