[Spec13-request] Comments on .food spec 13

Mr. Michele Neylon michele.neylon at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 18:45:09 UTC 2015

Dear Sir / Madam

I am submitting these comments in my personal capacity and not on behalf of
any group.

ICANN should deny this request.

The term “food” is a generic string under ICANN’s definition and no one
company should be granted exclusive rights to it.

I was one of the people who raised this sort of issue with ICANN back in
2013. See, for example:

blog.blacknight.com/letter-to-icann-clarifications-on-non-trademarked-generic-keyword-tld-are-needed.html

And my opinion on this has not changed.

The “food” sector is huge and no one company should have control of the
namespace that defines it.

Ireland, for example, has a thriving food production industry. See for
example:

Goodfoodireland.ie

There are hundreds of businesses listed on that site and each one of them
should have the option to use a .food domain name, which granting .food
spec 13 status would deny them

Regards

Michele

--