[SubPro-IRT] String Similarity Evaluations & Universal Acceptance proposed language

Anne ICANN anneicanngnso at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 22:54:47 UTC 2023

Thanks Lars, for bringing us up-to-date on the status of Board Resolutions
re Sub Pro policy recommendations.   This section of the ByLaws may be
helpful to promote understanding as to how Supplemental Recommendations are
developed and approved where Board "non-adoption" applies (see 9. d. below)

Section 9. *Board Approval Processes*

The Board will meet to discuss the GNSO Council recommendation as soon as
feasible, but preferably not later than the second meeting after receipt of
the Board Report from the Staff Manager. Board deliberation on the PDP
Recommendations
contained within the Recommendations Report shall proceed as follows:

   1. Any PDP Recommendations approved by a GNSO Supermajority Vote shall
   be adopted by the Board unless, by a vote of more than two-thirds (2/3) of
   the Board, the Board determines that such policy is not in the best
   interests of the ICANN community or ICANN. If the GNSO Council
   recommendation was approved by less than a GNSO Supermajority Vote, a
   majority vote of the Board will be sufficient to determine that such policy
   is not in the best interests of the ICANN community or ICANN.
   2. In the event that the Board determines, in accordance with paragraph
   a above, that the policy recommended by a GNSO Supermajority Vote or
   less than a GNSO Supermajority vote is not in the best interests of the
   ICANN community or ICANN (the Corporation), the Board shall (i)
   articulate the reasons for its determination in a report to the Council
   (the "*Board Statement*"); and (ii) submit the Board Statement to the
   Council.
   3. The Council shall review the Board Statement for discussion with the
   Board as soon as feasible after the Council's receipt of the Board
   Statement. The Board shall determine the method (e.g., by teleconference,
   e-mail, or otherwise) by which the Council and Board will discuss the Board
   Statement.
   4. At the conclusion of the Council and Board discussions, the Council
   shall meet to affirm or modify its recommendation, and communicate that
   conclusion (the "*Supplemental Recommendation*") to the Board, including
   an explanation for the then-current recommendation. In the event that the
   Council is able to reach a GNSO Supermajority Vote on the Supplemental
   Recommendation, the Board shall adopt the recommendation unless more than
   two-thirds (2/3) of the Board determines that such policy is not in the
   interests of the ICANN community or ICANN. For any Supplemental
   Recommendation approved by less than a GNSO Supermajority Vote, a
   majority vote of the Board shall be sufficient to determine that the policy
   in the Supplemental Recommendation is not in the best interest of the
   ICANN community or ICANN.

Anne Aikman-Scalese
GNSO Councilor
NomCom Non-Voting 2022-2024