[TSG-Access-RD] ICANN as a proxy

Andrew Newton andy at hxr.us
Fri Dec 14 18:16:44 UTC 2018

During our last call, Scott and Murray discussed third-party or
distributed authorization, but I'd like to ask about on another aspect
of the operational model that appears in the charter. The current
charter text says:

"The implementation approach described during that webinar would place
ICANN in the position of determining whether a third party’s query for
non-public registration data ought to be approved to proceed. If
approved, ICANN would ask the appropriate registry or registrar to
provide the requested data to ICANN, which in turn would provide it to
the third party. If ICANN does not approve the request, the query
would be denied."

The second sentence implies that ICANN servers would act as a proxy,
transiting both queries and responses. Is there a legal necessity for
the information to flow through ICANN?

-andy