[TSG-Access-RD] For consideration: Proposal to hash PoC in Public Domain Name Whois

Andy Newton andy at hxr.us
Tue Feb 5 20:22:03 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 07:07:28PM +0000, Hollenbeck, Scott via TSG-Access-RD wrote:
> (Trimming recipients)

Scott brings up a good point. Saying a field is an email address and providing
something that is not an email address in that field is likely to cause clients
to believe there is a syntax error.

We did discuss similar ideas during our last face-to-face, but I do not know
where we landed regarding a decision.

Can we ask for the requirement that has yielded this implmentation path? Are
they looking for a globally unique identifier? What is the idea behind the
hash? Is it that only certain people know how to reverse the hash (assuming a
two-way hash) or have other knowledge about the hashing function?

-andy