[technology taskforce] Translate plugin for wiki (Was Re: Thanks for attending the Technology Taskforce call on January 7 2014)

Dev Anand Teelucksingh devtee at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 18:33:55 UTC 2014

Dear Reed,

Apologies for not responding earlier.

One thing I have noticed is on iOS Safari (iPhone/iPad), the Google
translate plugin does NOT work. I can open the dropdown showing all the
language options, but then unable to select an language.

The google translate macro doesn't render in the mobile view of the page
and I was using the view in desktop mode.

I tried to view a page with the Bing translate plugin (
https://community.icann.org/x/4DefAg).
This worked in iOS in both mobile. In  and desktop mode, although sometimes
the Bing translate dropdown in the "view as desktop mode" only showed a
subset (about 1/2) of the languages to pick from (but was still able to
pick from this subset of languages for the machine translation to work).

Haven't tried with a Android Chrome browser, but I'm hoping someone on the
TTF list can
try viewing

- https://community.icann.org/x/GQeuAg to test the Google Translate plugin
- (https://community.icann.org/x/4DefAg to test the Bing translate plugin