Danish time zone naming

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Wed Nov 27 01:00:00 UTC 1996

   Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 20:32:34 +0100
   From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at critter.tfs.com>

   for Denmark MET is actually the abbreviation recommended by the
   ministry of the interior.

That's odd, since the Danish Standards Association recommends `CET'
(reference: Posix 1003.1-1996 [ISO/IEC 9945-1: 1996], page 614, line 105).

I just looked in Dejanews for recent Usenet articles mentioning
`Denmark CET MET' and talking about the issue, and I found only the
following relevant articles, which seem to prefer `CET' to `MET':

	Henrik Buch Mortensen <hbm at emi.dtu.dk>
	Re: MET timezone: premature end of DST
	<URL:news:u3d8ynaylw.fsf at amalthea.emi.dtu.dk> (1996-10-13)
	This article presents a new zoneinfo file written from scratch by the
	Danish author, which uses CET and not MET.

	Thomas Petersen <petersen at post1.tele.dk>
	Linux Danish HOWTO (part 1/1)
	<URL:news:Danish-HOWTO.1-7533.847339934 at cc.gatech.edu> (1996-11-06)
	This article talks about setting the time zone for Denmark, mentions
	CET before MET, and then gives instructions using the old zoneinfo
	MET file.

Do you have a reference for the `MET' recommendation?
Is this `MET' an abbreviation for Danish or for English?