proposed changes to tzselect

Gilbert C Healton ghealton at hiway1.exit109.com
Mon Jan 7 22:19:40 UTC 2002

As I've been looking for a FAQ to this list and not finding one,
but lots of spam in the archives, I figure I'll just go ahead and
write this.

I have some changes to tzselect that adds an -s option to allow the
operator to set the systems time zone muche like the timeconfig
command does, but it sets a few more generic files I've seen documented
on various web pages. It can also be driven from shell scripts, if
you care to do it that way. I've also attempted to make it smart
enough to work on any "zoneinfo" system without the changes some
releases now require.

Some feed back on this would really be appreciated. In particular
testing on systems I do not (currently) have access to.

	Gnu/Linux
	   [x] Red Hat
	   [ ] Other non-Red Hat (especially those without /etc/redhat-release)
	FreeBSD,
	NetBSD,
	OpenBSD,
	DJGPP,
	HP-UX,
	IRIX,
	Open UNIX,
	Solaris
	Tru64.k

As I am no sure poting an attachment is a good idea for this mailing
list, I've made the changes available as a series of diff files at
http://www.exit109.com/~ghealton/y2k/tzselect-diffs.tar.gz based on
the source I downloaded earlier today. The patch program can be used
to apply them to your local source.

ghealton at exit109.com   http://www.exit109.com/~ghealton/