compile errors on timezone database

Rodrigo Severo rodrigo.lists at fabricadeideias.com
Wed Dec 3 10:58:00 UTC 2003

Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) wrote:

>Back in 1998 zic was tweaked to accept 24:00 in "AT" fields; my guess is
>that the version of zic being used predates that change.
>(If the vendor hasn't stripped things and you're on a POSIX system, you can
>do a...
>	what /path/to/the/executable/zic
>...to get a version number; anything under 7.94 lacks the tweak; anything
>beyond 7.95 has the tweak.)
>
>Mindful of folks with old compilers, it may be best to change the
>northamerica file to avoid use of 24:00, changing the
>"lastSat 24:00" references to "lastSun 0:00". (And perhaps using zic should
>generate warning messages if a 24:00 shows up and zic's -v option has been
>used.)

Because of the lastSat-might-be-the-last-day-of-the-month issue the
Right Thing to be done is to update zic and use the correct zoneinfo
definition.

Rodrigo Severo

Rodrigo Severo
Fábrica de Idéias
Fone: +55(61)321 1357
Fax: +55(61)223 1712
SBS - Quadra 2 - Ed. Empire Center - Sala 1301
Brasília/DF - Brasil
CEP: 70.070-904