ICU and "Sources for Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time Data"

Paul Eggert eggert at twinsun.com
Sun Apr 11 06:58:43 UTC 2004

> From: Steven R. Loomis [mailto:srl at jtcsv.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 8:32 PM

> http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/

Thanks for letting me know about this.  Here's a draft description
of ICU's use of tz; please let me know of any problems.

<li><a href="http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/">International Components for
Unicode (ICU)</a> contains a C/C++ library for internationalization that
has a compiler from <samp>tz</samp> source into an ICU-specific format.
ICU is freely available under a BSD-style license.</li>

By the way do you know about Joda Time?  Perhaps you could use it in
the Java side of ICU.  Here's what I was planning to add for it:

<li><a href="http://joda-time.sourceforge.net/">Joda Time - Java date
and time API</a> contains a class
<code>org.joda.time.tz.ZoneInfoCompiler</code> that compiles
<code>tz</code> source into a Joda-specific binary format. Joda Time
is freely available under a BSD-style license.</li>