Time zones from Windows XP

Oscar van Vlijmen ovv at hetnet.nl
Tue May 18 19:33:26 UTC 2004

> From: Ruby Ballen <RBallen at hypercom.com>
> Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:14:38 -0700
> Subject: Time zones from Windows XP

> (GMT - 12:00) International Date Line West
No inhabited places are in this timezone, hence no entries in tz database.

> (GMT - 06:00) Central America
Look for a couple of provinces in Mexico, and Belize, Costa Rica, El
Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Chile-Easter Island,
Ecuador-Galapagos.
Please check the "southamerica" file.

> (GMT - 03:00) Brasilia
The central Brazil zones are at -03:00.
Some observe summertime (DST), some not.

> (GMT - 02:00) Mid-Atlantic
Zone: Atlantic/South_Georgia is at -02:00; it's in the south however...

> (GMT + 01:00) West Central Africa
Among others, Central African Republic is at +01:00.

> (GMT + 06:00) Sri Jayawardenepura
Capital of Sri Lanka. See "asia" file.

> (GMT + 13:00) Nuku¹alofa
Capital of Tonga. See "australasia" file.

> Also, is there any site where I can find documentation about this library?
In the tzcode folder are a couple of documentation files.
The most interesting are probably:
   README
   Theory
   zic.8.txt

Another interesting file is
   zone.tab
to be found in the tzdata folder.
Here you'll find e.g. country codes and latitude/longitude information.

The "canonical" web site is:
http://www.twinsun.com/tz/tz-link.htm

Oscar van Vlijmen
2004-05-18