Corrections to timezone database

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Sat Feb 5 22:55:32 UTC 2005

> But I insist that there should be an entry "Asia/Beijing" first.
> "Beijing Time" is represented by Shanghai, which is a unacceptable
> situation.

As far as we are concerned, the tzid is simply an internal tag, marking a
region of the Earth that has the same timezone behavior, all the way back to
the point in time where timezones started to be used instead of solar time.
The name for that tzid may vary by language, and it should be the most
customary form for that language (or even country).

It is a bit like arguing that CN should not be the official ISO 3166 country
code for China, because it is not an acronym for the Chinese name for the
country. The common name is divorced from the particular combination of
letters used for the code. The code is an internal tag, which should be
represented with an appropriate string for whatever the user's language is.
The main purpose of the code is that it be well-defined and unique.

If Shanghai and Beijing ever had different timezone behavior, that would
warrant having a different tzid; otherwise it doesn't.

‎Mark