Corrections to timezone database

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Sat Feb 5 23:20:42 UTC 2005

> But why there are Harbin and other cities? Those cities are using the
> same timezone UTC+8, isn't it?

The others are distinguished because at some time in the past, there was
some point at which they differed in time. So in this case, Asia/Shanghai
differed from Asia/Harbin on 1980‑04‑30 15:29Z (8.5 vs. 8).

See
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/~checkout~/locale/docs/design/formatting/zone_log.html
(now slightly out of date).

‎Mark