When is midnight? Nomenclature question (was Re: Guatemala DST?)

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Apr 24 14:24:25 UTC 2006

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Dave Cantor wrote:

> Midnight _used_to_be_ a synonym for 2400 hrs., the end of the day.
>
> But we pretty much don't use 2400 hrs. any more, and "midnight" has
> become a synonym, in some contexts, for 0000 hrs., the start of the day.
> So "midnight Tuesday" might refer to the minute before 12:01 a.m.
> Tuesday morning (Monday night!).

shifting the topic slightly, I've noticed that FM Osaka lists their
programme times sometimes as times even later than 2400 (which I
intuitively but perhaps incorrectly interpret as meaning tomorrow)

For example,

http://fmosaka.net/mc/

appears to show 'music coaster' as playing at 25:00 -> 27:00 in the
japanese text, and 1am - 3am in the english text. (25 = 1+24, 27 = 3+24)

The days don't seem to match either -- or rather they do: japanese text
seems to say (as much as I can read) mondays->weds at 25:00->27:00, whilst
the english says mondays->weds at 1am - 3am.

Has anyone seen that before?