zone.tab corrections

yoshito_umaoka at us.ibm.com yoshito_umaoka at us.ibm.com
Thu May 31 02:10:28 UTC 2007

These are zone IDs, so I'd rather want to keep them unchanged.
I think there are some applications which store the zone IDs in persistent
data.  In these applications, any changes in zond IDs will require mapping
table for backward compatibility support.

Anyway, I'd like to address that these zone IDs are captured in the Common
Locale Data Repository ( http://www.unicode.org/cldr/ ) and these region
names are localized (timezones - exemplarCity... of course these localized
names are represented by Unicode!).  The latest version of CLDR includes
local names, for example, "Montreal" in French locale is "Montréal".  At
this moment, the coverage of localization is not great, but it is
improving in every CLDR releases.

In my opinion, zone IDs should be stable and based on common English
spelling and supporting native/localized city names via separated bundles
such as CLDR timezones data.

- Yoshito Umaoka (ICU project)

"Paul Schauble" <Paul.Schauble at ticketmaster.com> wrote on 05/30/2007
06:45:53 PM: