zone.tab corrections

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Thu May 31 18:36:57 UTC 2007

<<On Thu, 31 May 2007 14:31:00 -0400, Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> said:

> changes. But we build legacy compatibility links for every zone,
> any time there's a change; once a zone ID becomes valid it should
> remain valid forever more, and aside from bugfixes and addition of
> historical rules over time, the ID will continue to refer to the
> same timezone forever.

Depends on the operating system.  We do not, by default, include the
"backward" file in FreeBSD, so zones which are renamed will, over
time, no longer be available.  (Users generally will not notice this
unless they are in the habit of setting their TZ environment variable
explicitly, as the system time zone is copied into place by
tzsetup(8).)

-GAWollman