Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude didn't change time zone, same MSK+5. New Russia map without DST.

Andy Lipscomb AndyLipscomb at decosimo.com
Tue Apr 5 14:19:00 UTC 2011

"Is there any one person (or subgroup of people) within the TZ Group
who is (are) advocating that time zones be pulled out of the UTC offset
and that time zones be known simply as TZ 1-to-24?

My reference on this topic is within the right column of this page:
http://smallbusinessschool.org/page2424.html

Is this a silly concept?  Is so, I would be very interested to learn why..
Thank you.

Warmly,

Bruce Camber
http://smallbusinessschool.org/page2646.html"

Well, the first thing that jumps to mind is that not every place on earth is in an integer time zone. For instance, that very page lists India as in both Tz7 and Tz8; it's actually in what their scheme would be Tz7½. Other notable places on non-integer time offsets are Newfoundland in 16½, Venezuela in 17½, and the middle third of Australia in 3½, not to mention Nepal in 7¼.

Then there's the issue of daylight-savings time. The time difference from Melbourne, Florida to Melbourne, Victoria is 15 hours when both countries are on summer time at once, but 16 in the Northern winter and 14 in the Southern winter...