[tz] Proposed time zone package changes (Fiji, Bahia Brazil, West Bank(Hebron))

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Oct 7 07:43:22 UTC 2011

Here are proposed changes to the time zone package.   I'm releasing
these changes now as the change to Bahia, Brazil, is due to take effect
next Sunday week (8 or 9 days away, or something), so getting at least
that change distributed now is urgent.

The executive summary

	asia	Changed the end date for Summer Time for this year (2011)
		to match reality reported by Steffen Thorsen.

	northamerica
		Corrected typo in (ancient) LMT zone offset as detected
		by Zefram.

	southamerica
		Resume Summer Time in Bahia, Brazil (following the
		standard Brazil algorithm, which causes Summer time to
		start Oct 16 this year, which matches the report.)

	australasia
		Adjust the end date for Summer time in Fiji in 2012 (Feb)
		as reported by Steffen Thorsen.

That Bolivia will not start Summer time this year seems fortuitous as
apparently we had no idea that it had been intended.

Armenia's plan to abolish Summer Time can wait until it has ceased being
a plan and become reality.

As with Arthur's last update, any changes needed for Russia are deferred,
mostly because I haven't been able to fathom what those changes need to be...
(I wasn't paying that much attention to all the messages about this, as I
didn't expect any of that to directly affect me - if someone who knows what
is happening could send a proposed diff, that would help).

One proposal that Arthur, Paul, and I had kicked around a little (very little)
off list that might affect things there, was to abandon attempts to invent new
time zone abbreviations for places that don't have one already in use, and
instead just insert LST as a place holder (Local Standard/Summer Time).
Anywhere that cares what the abbreviation is can have their preferred
abbreviation, as always, other places, where we had been inventing strings
just because we thought it was a good idea, will get LST instead.

There was no plan to go back and change all the currently established invented
abbreviations though, or not unless there's a request to remove a particularly
poor choice, if we have any of those.

And yes, we know that LST already exists with another interpretation
(which can remain), we don't care.

None of this is in this update, so feel free to express opinions on the
advisability of adopting this policy for future new zones.

The tzdata diff follows.   I plan on releasing this next Monday
(October 10) if there are no detected problems (and will almost certainly
release whatever part of this is correct then).   Note that I life in a
timezone far east of Arthur, his Monday updates got to me on my Tuesday,
so my Monday update will get to many of you on your
 Sunday....

kre

*** asia	2011/10/07 06:09:10	1.1
--- asia	2011/10/07 06:54:28
***************
*** 2269,2275 ****
  			2:00 Palestine	EE%sT	2011 Apr  1 12:01
  			2:00	1:00	EEST	2011 Aug  1
  			2:00	-	EET	2011 Aug 30
! 			2:00	1:00	EEST	2011 Oct  3 3:00
  			2:00	-	EET

  # Paracel Is
--- 2269,2275 ----
  			2:00 Palestine	EE%sT	2011 Apr  1 12:01
  			2:00	1:00	EEST	2011 Aug  1
  			2:00	-	EET	2011 Aug 30
! 			2:00	1:00	EEST	2011 Sep 30 3:00
  			2:00	-	EET

  # Paracel Is

*** australasia	2011/10/07 06:09:10	1.1
--- australasia	2011/10/07 06:21:11
***************
*** 303,308 ****
--- 303,310 ----
  Rule	Fiji	2010	only	-	Mar	lastSun	3:00	0	-
  Rule	Fiji	2010	only	-	Oct	24	2:00	1:00	S
  Rule	Fiji	2011	only	-	Mar	Sun>=1	3:00	0	-
+ Rule	Fiji	2011	only	-	Oct	23	2:00	1:00	S
+ Rule	Fiji	2012	only	-	Feb	26	3:00	0	-
  # Zone	NAME		GMTOFF	RULES	FORMAT	[UNTIL]
  Zone	Pacific/Fiji	11:53:40 -	LMT	1915 Oct 26	# Suva
  			12:00	Fiji	FJ%sT	# Fiji Time

*** northamerica	2011/10/07 06:09:10	1.1
--- northamerica	2011/10/07 06:13:35
***************
*** 483,489 ****
  			 -8:00	US	P%sT	1983 Oct 30 2:00
  			 -9:00	US	Y%sT	1983 Nov 30
  			 -9:00	US	AK%sT
! Zone America/Sitka	 -14:58:47 -	LMT	1867 Oct 18
  			 -9:01:13 -	LMT	1900 Aug 20 12:00
  			 -8:00	-	PST	1942
  			 -8:00	US	P%sT	1946
--- 483,489 ----
  			 -8:00	US	P%sT	1983 Oct 30 2:00
  			 -9:00	US	Y%sT	1983 Nov 30
  			 -9:00	US	AK%sT
! Zone America/Sitka	 14:58:47 -	LMT	1867 Oct 18
  			 -9:01:13 -	LMT	1900 Aug 20 12:00
  			 -8:00	-	PST	1942
  			 -8:00	US	P%sT	1946

*** southamerica	2011/10/07 06:09:10	1.1
--- southamerica	2011/10/07 06:36:20
***************
*** 1034,1040 ****
  # of America/Salvador.
  Zone America/Bahia	-2:34:04 -	LMT	1914
  			-3:00	Brazil	BR%sT	2003 Sep 24
! 			-3:00	-	BRT
  #
  # Goias (GO), Distrito Federal (DF), Minas Gerais (MG),
  # Espirito Santo (ES), Rio de Janeiro (RJ), Sao Paulo (SP), Parana (PR),
--- 1034,1041 ----
  # of America/Salvador.
  Zone America/Bahia	-2:34:04 -	LMT	1914
  			-3:00	Brazil	BR%sT	2003 Sep 24