[tz] temporary timezone database home ...

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Fri Oct 7 08:33:45 UTC 2011

    Date:        Fri, 7 Oct 2011 03:03:22 -0400
    From:        John Hawkinson <jhawk at mit.edu>

  | Of course, I meant to write that the other DEFENDANT was Paul Eggert, not
  | plaintiff. Oops.

Yes, that was sort of obvious.

  | It is apparently a copyright question,

Yes, when I saw the files that you made available (after my first reply)
that was obvious - thanks for digging those out.

And it's fairly obviously bogus too - no-one copied any data from their
atlas (whoever owned it at the time), that is just one of many reference
sources for the facts that the tz project collected, and like any good
reference, cited as a source.   But, I'm afraid that's going to be for
others to argue over, nothing I say on this is likely to have much impact.

Just best wished to Arthur, and Paul, and I know how stressful this kind
of thing can be.

And in regard to ,,,

sm at resistor.net said:
  | Thanks for volunteering.  As draft-lear-iana-timezone-database-04 has
  | already been approved by the IESG for publication as a BCP, I suggest  that
  | the TZ mailing list reaches consensus for you to fulfill the  role of TZ
  | Coordinator.

For now, I am going to do it until someone else takes over, just because it
needs to be done, and quickly.   And because potential US law suits don't
bother me...

Longer term, I have the same issues (kind of) that caused Arthur to seek
alternative arrangements (earlier) more or less, he was (still is, I
assume) approaching retirement, so am I.   For me, I suspect retirement
will have less impact upon my use of the networks, etc, than it might for
Arthur (even before this nonsense reared its ugly head), but when we reach
this kind of age, expecting continued long term service is simply expecting
the absurd.  That's why I rejected approaches to replace Arthur earlier,
and those reasons still apply, for anything beyond the short term, we need a
coordinator who can expect to be around somewhat longer than I do.

kre