[tz] Elliot - I want to talk about the TZ project ASAP...

Todd Glassey tglassey at certichron.com
Wed Oct 19 16:41:05 UTC 2011

On 10/19/2011 8:39 AM, Todd Glassey wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 19, 2011 7:51:45 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
>> Please see
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lear-iana-timezone-database-04.
>>
>> Eliot
>>

> SNIP
>

> Thanks -   great start Elliot - let me make some devils advocate
> commentary.
>
> 0)    We need two mailing lists - a general convo list and a second
> list for formal announcements as to changes in the DB itself. The
> reasons are that most of the relying parties who will subscribe to
> list #2 *(the DB Changes List) dont want anything else to do with this
> process., They are relying parties who need to be noticed when there
> are formal changes in the list only.
>

> A)     we should tie the TZ use statement in the opening to to Log
> Correlation and tools like UNIX XDAS or the MITRE CEE groups work.  It
> also needs to be noticed in the I-D that TZ's are a function of
> International Metrological Law and Treaty and are managed by the legal
> holders of those rights for the jurisdictions represented.
>
> B)      The TZ information needs to be tied to some Authority Context
> so that each TZ is tied to a National or Judicial Context in some
> form. That means each TZ is functionally tied to a Originating
> Authority - in the US for instance this would be 15 USC 260 which then
> further stratifies the time data to a set of Metrological Authorities
> within that Legal Instance of Time. That means a TZ Management Actor
> for each TZ published must be established.
>
> I suggest adding a STAKEHOLDER ROLE to the Submission Practice and
> that the Stakeholder may amend the content of the publication-list
> with respect to the TZ(s) they hold control over here,  and that a
> simple notice from the Stakeholder to the DB Coordinator should
> trigger both an update to the list and a public-service notice to a
> new TZ Announce List which is specific to TZ Changes and availability
> Statements from the DB Coordinator/DBA
>
> C)     The Data Base is actually a legal publication and the IETF has
> nothing to say about its presentation of that content. Further the
> IETF failing to properly make changes creates both civil and
> potentially criminal liabilities in a number of situations that OLSON
> was immune from under the 11th Amendment Protections accorded to the NIH.
>
> To sidestep that liability there are a number of things we can do with
> the Stakeholder Role suggested in B too - we should talk more about
> this and who actually owns this data.Likewise, since this is a legal
> document that is being published with is a distillation of a number of
> metrological and trade treaties the IETF or ANY part of the IANA stand
> in the way of a legal jurisdiction making immediate changes to that
> list, its international law. Sop the Draft needs work there.

Damn I am Dyslexic... what I was trying to say is that we are not the
originators of this information - the jurisdictional metrological lab or
the jurisdiction holder is.  We need to put in place processes which
compliment their dissemination models and which do not open us to
liability. Notice in the OLSON Suit Astrolabe is suing OLSON and not
NIH. They will lose since the project is protected under the 11th
Amendment Rights there of NIH, since it and not OLSON holds
responsibility for the publishing.

But this opens this process to a level of pain no other IETF publication
has ever faced... that is the impetus of this commentary.

Todd

--
Todd S. Glassey - CISM CIFI
CTO Certichron Inc

This message contains information which may be confidential and/or privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the intended recipient), you may not read, use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) thereto without retaining any copies.

Further we have a formal OPT OUT Policy posted on our website pertaining to the use of any Email Addresses gleaned or taken from any source, web, mailing lists, previous customer lists etc. In all instances we choose to formally OPT OUT and this notice constitutes formal disclosure that you may not collect, buy or sell or provide access to this email address or any pertaining to our DNS MX Record Publication License posted on the web at http://www-wp.certichron.com/?page_id=3947.