proposed time zone package changes (Belarus, Newfoundland, Palestine)

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 13:12:25 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011, Arthur David Olson wrote:
> Here are proposed changes to the time zone package. This set is limited to
> changes affecting 2011 time stamps, and I'm holding off on changes to Russia
> pending further information. The executive summary:
>
> 	asia		Palestine suspends DST during Ramadan in 2011;
> 			Gaza and Hebron split in 2011, leading to a new
> 			Asia/Hebron zone (thanks to Steffen Thorsen and
> 			Alexander Krivenshev).
> 			(The different end of DST in Gaza and Hebron in 2008
> 			is also reflected.)
> 	europe		Belarus adopts permanent DST in 2011
> 			(thanks to Yauhen Kharuzhy, Alexander Bokovoy,
> 			Alexander Krivenyshev, and Kirill A. Shutemov).
> 			Given the Belarus change, "Russia" rules changed to
> 			reflect end of use in 2010.
> 			Also: a comment typo is fixed.
According to
http://w1.c1.rada.gov.ua/pls/zweb_n/webproc4_1?id=&pf3511=40036

Ukraine has adopted permanent DST today, September 20th.

It means we would actually benefit from keeping EEST for Belarus and
Ukraine.

> ***************
> *** 700,706 ****
>   			2:00	1:00	EEST	1991 Sep 29 2:00s
>   			2:00	-	EET	1992 Mar 29 0:00s
>   			2:00	1:00	EEST	1992 Sep 27 0:00s
> ! 			2:00	Russia	EE%sT
>
>   # Belgium
>   #
> --- 716,723 ----
>   			2:00	1:00	EEST	1991 Sep 29 2:00s
>   			2:00	-	EET	1992 Mar 29 0:00s
>   			2:00	1:00	EEST	1992 Sep 27 0:00s
> ! 			2:00	Russia	EE%sT	2011 Mar 27 2:00s
> ! 			3:00	-	MINST # MINsk Standard Time
Here if we would keep EEST name instead of MINST, we can use the same
time zone naming for both Ukraine and Belarus.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy