Ukraine adopts UTC+3 year-round

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Sep 20 18:26:44 UTC 2011

On 09/20/11 06:34, Tim Parenti wrote:
> While I support any effort to create a "unified" abbreviation designation
> for the new UTC+3 year-round zone to be observed by Belarus and Ukraine (and
> perhaps even Kaliningrad), I don't think that using "EEST" year-round is
> necessarily a good idea

I agree.  It's not summer time (aka daylight saving time) if it's
set permanently to a single UTC offset.

We should use the abbreviation of the most common
name for this time zone in English.  Since there is no such name yet
I propose "FET", simply because "F" comes after E, and "FET" is not
ambiguous.  We can call it an abbreviation for "Further-eastern
European Time".  This would be a temporary abbreviation; if a common
name arises we should switch to an abbreviation for the more-common
name.