Ukraine adopts UTC+3 year-round

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Tue Sep 20 13:34:11 UTC 2011

While I support any effort to create a "unified" abbreviation designation
for the new UTC+3 year-round zone to be observed by Belarus and Ukraine (and
perhaps even Kaliningrad), I don't think that using "EEST" year-round is
necessarily a good idea, especially for zones which are geographically
contiguous to others that will be shifting back to EET in October.  The
similarities in designation could cause confusion in border regions.

Furthermore, continuing to call the time "Summer Time" through the winter
doesn't make any sense, especially if we're codifying the new zone as
UTC+3+0 (standard offset year-round), rather than UTC+2+1, which it seems we
are indeed doing.

That said, I don't have any better suggestions for a unified designation off
the top of my head.  I think "UAT" would serve decently for Ukraine's four
tz zones, at least unless and until something more "unifying" can be
devised.

--
Tim Parenti