Re coming Russian-Belarusian-Ukrainian timezone change

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 20:37:56 UTC 2011

On 09/23/2011 09:45 PM, Tim Parenti wrote:
> The notion of perpetually calling this "summer time" (as EEST) or
> "forward time" (as EEFT) is silly, since it's observed as the same
> standard year-round.  If one were to ask a reasonably knowledgeable
> person on the street for their current time and time zone, I doubt

Isn't this going too far? Silly, indeed? One
might call silly, or at least unbased, the
assertion of "FET" being "the most reasonable
and thought-out proposal thus far". Reasonable?
Not because it replaces the *established* "EE.T"
pattern to something completely different?
Thought-out? Not because of the "F-" prefix
being something which "might do for now"?
Because somebody haven't seen nothing better"
(better how)?

Frankly, I thought the tzdata purpose is to
provide short and reasonably informative
denotations of the timezones, for the software
which requires such entity. What person on the
street might know about such denotations is,
frankly, unimportant. What person using the TZ
entities might know of this, is, on the other
hand, of some importance.

After all, why bother with abbreviated
denotations at all? GMT+3 might nicely do for
Europe/Minsk etc. But if there has to be such
thing as the abbreviature, let it make sense to
its users in the first place.

-Yury