[tz] Idea for internationalized time point unique time zone abbreviations

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Thu Jun 7 15:09:21 UTC 2012

> on the contrary

First, I wasn't saying that the TZDB identifiers were commonly used
externally; they are not. Nobody writes "I'll meet you at 12:30
Europe/Paris".

Secondly, I said the "vast majority". Some of the abbreviations are quite
familiar, at least for those familiar with the timezones in question,
because they match what is in common use. People living in the US, or
English speakers outside that have a lot to do with the US would recognize
"CST". Tell a Japanese "I'll send the message at 12:30 AMST" and see what
he or she understands. In CLDR we ended up dropping almost all
abbreviations, because people (whether familiar with the timezones in
question or not) didn't recognize them. It's not as if the TZDB is using
the wrong abbreviation (at least for English), it's most often that there
just isn't an accepted abbreviation in a given language for a particular
timezone.

Mark <https://plus.google.com/114199149796022210033>
*
*