[tz] Idea for internationalized time point unique time zone abbreviations

Pierpaolo Bernardi olopierpa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 15:38:17 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Mark Davis ☕ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:

> Secondly, I said the "vast majority". Some of the abbreviations are quite
> familiar, at least for those familiar with the timezones in question,
> because they match what is in common use. People living in the US, or
> English speakers outside that have a lot to do with the US would recognize
> "CST". Tell a Japanese "I'll send the message at 12:30 AMST" and see what he
> or she understands. In CLDR we ended up dropping almost all abbreviations,
> because people (whether familiar with the timezones in question or not)
> didn't recognize them. It's not as if the TZDB is using the wrong
> abbreviation (at least for English), it's most often that there just isn't
> an accepted abbreviation in a given language for a particular timezone.

I live in a country comprised entirely in one time zone (Italy), so
the sensibility to
the issue is lower than in a country spanning more zones. The only way I see
other time zones mentioned in media/common people speech is the equivalent of
"time of a well known big city" like, "london time", "new york time",
"tokyo time".

FWIW.

P.