[tz] Patch - America/Los_Angeles zone comment

OvV_HN ovv at hetnet.nl
Sat Jun 9 18:30:04 UTC 2012

[tz] Patch - America/Los_Angeles zone comment
Alan Mintz Alan_Mintz+TZ_IANA at Earthlink.net
Fri Jun 8 21:27:24 UTC 2012

Alternatively, more accuracy could be provided by the following changes:

< northamerica
 > northamerica.new

395,397c395,398
< # Idaho, Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone counties,
< # and the northern three-quarters of Idaho county),
< # most of Nevada, most of Oregon, and Washington
---
 > # Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, and Shoshone counties,
 > # the towns of Burgdorf and Warren, and the part of Idaho county
 > # lying north of the Salmon River), Nevada (except for West Wendover)
 > # Oregon (except for part of Malheur County), and Washington

REPLY:

This confuses me.
I believe that the state of Idaho has a county named Idaho with a Salmon
River running through it.
The federal timezone law stipulates that south of this river Mountain Time
is in effect, north of it Pacific Time.
There are only a couple of places in the southern part of Idaho county, and
Burgdorf and Warren are indeed two of them.
Why don't we stay with the legal description, stating north/south of Salmon
River?

Regarding Malheur county in Oregon: you could add: the _northern_ part of
Malheur county.

Oscar van Vlijmen