[tz] Proposal for a modern 'Collapsed' Namespace

Random832 random832 at fastmail.us
Mon Oct 15 04:36:51 UTC 2012

On 10/12/2012 04:19 PM, Walter wrote:
> CLDR translates principal city names affiliated with timezones, and
> provides a mapping to Windows timezones.  That is all.
>
> (It doesn't define or translate timezone names, or allow for the
> grouping of historical timezones in to a reduced set of entitites
> suitable for presentation to end users.)
It actually does both - it defines an entity called a "metazone" that is
for example "America_Eastern", provides mappings (both present _and_
historical) of all the various Olson zones that map to it (for example,
America/New_York and America/Indianapolis), and each language file may
contain translations for the name of it (for example, es.xml has an
don't know how you came to believe that it contained none of these things.