[tz] Proposal for a modern 'Collapsed' Namespace

Walter walter.stanish at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 12:04:31 UTC 2012

>> CLDR translates principal city names affiliated with timezones, and
>> provides a mapping to Windows timezones.  That is all.
>>
>> (It doesn't define or translate timezone names, or allow for the
>> grouping of historical timezones in to a reduced set of entitites
>> suitable for presentation to end users.)
>
> It actually does both - it defines an entity called a "metazone" that is for
> example "America_Eastern", provides mappings (both present _and_ historical)
> of all the various Olson zones that map to it (for example, America/New_York
> and America/Indianapolis), and each language file may contain translations
> for the name of it (for example, es.xml has an entry with <generic>Hora
> de verano oriental</daylight>). I don't know how you came to believe that it
> contained none of these things.

You are right.

It seems I had somehow missed 'supplemental/metaZones.xml' within
core.zip of the CLDR distribution which does indeed seem to do this.
(i18n names live in 'common/main/<language>.xml' under timeZoneNames.)

Thanks for taking the time to point this out, and I hope this thread
is useful to people searching in future.

- Walter