[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

David Patte ₯ dpatte at relativedata.com
Mon Apr 1 13:09:10 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-01 6:28, Alan Barrett wrote:
> I don't think that anybody wants the tz database to use different
> abbreviations from what is in common use in Australia.

I think you may be incorrect. What people want is the most popular and
usable standard used in Australia that differentiates between
standard/winter time and daylight/summer time.

Several government pages seem to show that a standard for the eastern
zone is AEST/AEDT or EST/EDT, yet the database shows EST/EST, which is
both ambiguous and, as far as I can tell, not directly recommended on
most modern AU government pages.

In this case I dont care for the eastern zone whether AEST/ADST or
EST/EDT is used in the database. Either would be better, and less
ambiguous than what the database currently uses. And that is the point
being made here.