[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Edwin Groothuis edwin.groothuis at riverbed.com
Tue Apr 2 20:41:24 UTC 2013

On 3/04/13 04:08 , Russ Allbery wrote:
> Mark Davis ☕ <mark at macchiato.com> writes:
>
>> That works for single points in time. It does not, however, handle
>> repeating meetings. For example:
>>    Mondays at 8:00 PT
> If you're writing calendaring software, generally you switch to using
> something like the tz identifiers, which give you America/Los_Angeles and
> well-defined behavior.
But there is too many crappy software out there which does not support this.

 > Humans don't need the abbreviation and don't care.

Yes they do, it is much easier because there are less and they can be
pictured in the mind.
If I say Europe/Madrid and Europe/Lisbon, most people will not realize
that they are not in the same timezone.
If I say CEST and AZOST, that will ring a bell saying "Hey guys, there
is a time difference here".

Edwin