[tz] Ambiguous abbreviations for Australian timezones when daylight savings is in affect

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Tue Apr 2 21:31:17 UTC 2013

On 2 April 2013 16:26, Bennett Todd <bet at rahul.net> wrote:

> I betcha there are some thermostats that might get bit, and possibly some
> medical appliances too.
>
> Or industrial control.
>
> The applications of computers with the most horrific downside risk are,
> inexplicably, not renowned for the best design expertise at controlling
> against surprises.

I should sincerely hope that any application capable of receiving tz
patches is equally capable of receiving patches that help it handle changes
in tz.

On 2 April 2013 17:06, John Hawkinson <jhawk at mit.edu> wrote:

> I think that is extremely unlikely, but setting a policy that
> prohibits our reconsidering an error, if it is clear we have made one,
> would be a mistake.
>
> I'd be OK with an advisory commitment though.

Agreed.  Nobody can claim to know all possible use cases that are out
there, but we seem to agree that the abbreviations aren't meant to be used
by computers anyway.  In light of that, it seems quite unlikely that a
change to the abbreviations would cause problems (especially if announced
well in advance), but we have to allow for the slim chance that it might.

--
Tim Parenti