[tz] Proposal to change Macquarie Island to be Australian territory

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 18 00:18:09 UTC 2013

"David Grosz" <david at DLG.com.au> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is what the issue is but politically, Macquarie
> Island is part of Tasmania and as such, I would have thought it should
> be included under Australia.

Organization into the top-level structure is by continent or oceanic
region, not by political entity.  Otherwise, it would be America/Honolulu,
not Pacific/Honolulu.  That's why Paul's reply pointed out the ambiguity
of geographic classification, rather than focusing on the political
classification.

Classifying by political entity is a fast way to get us into trouble in
more politically contentious places.  Consider Atlantic/Stanley, for
example.

Australia is somewhat confusing in that context since it's both a
political entity and a continent.