[tz] Proposal to change Macquarie Island to be Australian territory

Tim Thornton tt at smartcomsoftware.com
Thu Apr 18 08:06:23 UTC 2013

Regarding in which region an island lies, a good approach is probably to
refer to the IHO (International Hydrographic Organisation) publication S-23
on the limits of oceans and seas. Unfortunately the current (1952) edition
removed the Antarctic or Southern Ocean as a separate region as it was
deemed to be an arbitrary delineation with no clear northern geographical
boundary. However work was done on a 4th Edition in 2000 which reinstated
the Southern Ocean and set the limits as 60 degrees South. This edition
would have been published and in force now, apart from a reservation from
Argentina.

So I would propose that any TZ data south of 60S, which means that Macquarie
Island does not fall in to Antarctica.

Tim

Smartcom Software Ltd
Portsmouth Technopole
Kingston Crescent
Portsmouth PO2 8FA
United Kingdom

www.smartcomsoftware.com

Smartcom Software is a limited company registered in England and Wales,
registered number 05641521.