[tz] Proposal to change Macquarie Island to be Australian territory

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Apr 18 10:35:13 UTC 2013

Tim Thornton said:
> Regarding in which region an island lies, a good approach is probably to
> refer to the IHO (International Hydrographic Organisation) publication S-23
> on the limits of oceans and seas.
[...]
> So I would propose that any TZ data south of 60S, which means that Macquarie
> Island does not fall in to Antarctica.

If this was a new zone, I think I'd agree with you.

But given that it's an existing zone, what is the benefit of moving the zone
rather than leaving it alone? I'd want to see a compelling reason for the
move, not just a "we've decided to use a new definition of 'Antarctica'".

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.