[tz] Introducing myself

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Thu Aug 29 19:49:55 UTC 2013

On 29 August 2013 20:39, Kevin Lyda <kevin at ie.suberic.net> wrote:
> No solution will avoid politics. And someone starting a number of threads on
> this topic clearly has their own political agenda.

I should introduce myself, as not everyone will know who I am, or what
I represent.

I am Stephen Colebourne
- a Java developer of 15+ years
- recognised as a Java Champion, a leader in the Java community
- author of Joda-Time, the most widely adopted 3rd party API for date
and time in Java
- co-spec lead of JSR-310, the effort to write a better API for the Java JDK
- have written APIs to parse the tzdb
- have designed APIs to expose that data to developers
- work very closely with Oracle, and have had conversations with CLDR
in the past

My "political agenda" is to avoid the effort I've put in over the last
12 years on date and time in Java being damaged. Recent changes give
the appearance of a lack of understanding of the importance of
pre-1970 data and of cross-border localization.

I'm sorry that I've had to write so much and object so strongly. I
want to find a solution we can all agree on. It seems harder than it
should be.

Stephen