[tz] Introducing myself

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Aug 29 20:24:17 UTC 2013

Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> My "political agenda" is to avoid the effort I've put in over the last
> 12 years on date and time in Java being damaged. Recent changes give
> the appearance of a lack of understanding of the importance of
> pre-1970 data and of cross-border localization.

I'm coming from a similar base using PHP.
ADOdb Date Library provides me with a calendar and time zones back to 100AD and
daylight saving is now included in the PHP time library, but the complete
synchronization of both is still work in progress. There is a need for a clean
date and time 'database' for all users and I see no reason why TZ should not
provide it? Data is available, so if TZ is not going to manage it, then we need
somewhere else that will?

I think that while Paul E. may not see a need he is now accepting that others
do? Hey Paul?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL