[tz] On merging timezones - a radical proposal.

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Wed May 22 19:17:52 UTC 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013, at 15:12, Scott Atwood wrote:
> The CLDR project already does with its concept of "meta zones" which
> group
> together similar tz identifiers under a single, human-friendly name.

No, they group together identifiers that share the same _time zone name_
(e.g. "Eastern Time" or "Central European Time"). Notably, they do not
separate zones that have different [present] daylight savings rules,
because the CLDR's goal with it is [as far as I can tell] solely a
matter of localizable presentation of time zone names, and you can use
isdst to determine whether to display the standard or daylight name.

The metazone relationship is absolutely unsuitable for user selection of
a time zone rule.