[tz] Dealing with Pre-1970 Data

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sun Sep 1 08:32:57 UTC 2013

On Sep 1, 2013, at 1:09 AM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
>> Final note. LMT can now be safely ignored in this discussion.
> Agreed, although I would make a request for some support in code rather than the database.

So you'd like the tz code to include a routine that takes, as an argument, a longitude value and a seconds-since-the-Epoch time value, and converts it to LMT (independent, of course, of the current time zone), so that people who want LMT rather than local standardized time for a particular location on Earth would call that routine, supplying it the longitude of that location, rather than calling localtime(), and, similarly, supply a routine that takes a "struct tm" and a longitude value and returns a seconds-since-the-Epoch value, so that people who want to convert an LMT date/time value for a particular location on Earth, rather than a local standardized time date/time value for a particular tzdb zone, to seconds-since-the-Epoch would call that routine, supplying it the longitude for that location, rather than calling mktime()?