[tz] State of the tzdb

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Tue Sep 3 12:34:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013, at 6:00, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> 2) Zone ID for America/Shiprock
>
> Reinstate Yes/No?

I will point out that, for instance, for all the ridiculous cluster of
zones there are for Indiana, we don't have zones for the few pieces of
Indiana that actually match zones outside the state. Nor for the parts
of Idaho that don't follow America/Boise.

This seems to be an artifact of a simpler period in the database - the
descriptions in the original commit of zone.tab are:
+US  +394421-1045903  America/Denver  Mountain Time
+US  +364708-1084111  America/Shiprock  Mountain Time - Navajo
+US  +332654-1120424  America/Phoenix  Mountain Standard Time - Arizona

With that description for America/Phoenix, it was necessary for
America/Shiprock to describe the parts of Arizona that didn't match that
rule.