[tz] Rules for TZ+ database

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 21:11:49 UTC 2013

Patrice Scattolin wrote:
> But you are right, in order for that to happen correctly both the time and the
> timezone has to be noted so that a correction can be applied properly.

I've never subscribed to including timezone data IN the date, that is always
'UTC' but if the timezone field is 'null' then the location field is used to
provide a timezone and the time is assumed to be 'local' to that. As has been
said, where systems only return a time offset then time zone has to be
calculated a different way anyway.

Just spoken to one of my confference customers on another matter and asked them
the question on a time change at a venue. The answer was that they would have to
maintain the UTC times of the event, both for travel arrangement and also they
normally have a live link to another country ... but they hopped that it never
happens :)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL