[tz] Getting close to new release: testing, testing, ...

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Sep 12 15:29:02 UTC 2013

Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> I've very much lost track of what changes have happened and
> what have not.

To do that, compare the latest stable release (2013d, or
8f10e5c in the experimental repository) to the master
head.  If you have the git repository, you can run this
shell command:

  git diff 8f10e5c...HEAD

Or you can visit this URL:

  https://github.com/eggert/tz/compare/8f10e5c...HEAD

and click on 'Files Changed' to see each change to each file.

I'd like to simplify this process by adding tags to the
experimental repository, so that you can say something like
'2013d...HEAD' instead; see
<https://github.com/eggert/tz/issues/1>.  This should make
it more convenient to look at old releases via git.
Unfortunately Git has multiple types of tags and Github has
a "Releases" feature, and I haven't yet had time to
understand all the issues involved.

As for releasing just the Fiji change, the typical practice
has been for downstream distributions to do that sort of
thing, instead of doing it in the tz release itself.  For
example, Debian squeeze
<http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/tzdata> is currently
using 2012g with just the fall-2012 Brazilian DST patch
(along with some Debian-specific patches).  I expect that we
can continue with this practice.  The current changeset is
larger than usual, but the more-problematic proposals have
been reverted or were never added in the first place.  In
the past we published far more drastic changes and the world
rolled along pretty much at the same rate as before.